love you to peaces sent directly to your inbox?! yes, please! :)

love you to peaces sent directly to your inbox?! yes, please! :)

Thursday, August 27, 2015

line in the sand.

I have a few more lessons I learned in the hospital, but I'm a processor....and I'm still processing. But in the meantime...


Adventures seem to begin when you never would expect them. 
I started an adventure to read more, learn more, and write more in 2015. And I've loved every second of it. (If you're unfamiliar with She Reads Truth, you'd better acquaint yourself, because it's awesome.) I want to read the entire Bible in 365 days. Totally possible. Totally intimidating.  Lofty goals bring lofty expectations. And expectations of myself are always getting me in trouble these days. 
I was reading in John as a part of my 365-day reading plan, and I read a story that is so familiar. It is the story of a woman that was accused of adultery. Her fate: death. She was to be stoned to death for her actions though those stoning her had committed sins equal of the punishment she was about to endure. We know the end of the story.  She doesn't die. Because Jesus uses some of his incredibly articulate wisdom to speak a loving and graceful truth into the situation.  But there are a few things about this story that distracted my thoughts this time. 
1. The woman was brought to the temple specifically to test Jesus. They didn't just stumble upon this woman to ask Jesus a question.  They were hoping to catch Him without an answer. But that's impossible. He always has the answer. 
2. Jesus does something funny. In the midst of this little test, He bends down and writes in the sand. It doesn't say what, but he does it twice. I've heard several theories on what He was doing. 
Theory A suggests that He was writing the sins of those accusing her. He was writing an account of the knowledge He has of His people. He was teaching us again the lesson we learned in Sunday School: that he sees everything. And how much of a shocker would it be for this man to just start writing your deepest darkest secrets in the sand...in front of everyone. If that doesn't prove the point that He is an all-knowing God, I don't know what does.
Theory B suggests He was writing a message to the woman.  It was customary for women not to make direct eye contact with a man, and she had just entered a temple full of men. Needless to say, she was probably looking down...right where Jesus was writing. He was writing to her to say, "I've got this. Don't worry." 
I contemplated all of these theories for a while.  I tried to put myself in temple. What was happening?  How would any of this make me feel? Which theory was more probable? Were there any other clues in the words I was reading to help me identify the details? Was this in any way shape, form, or fashion normal?  
And then tears. 
I just broke into tears. Because I realized this was the story of my faith. I try to figure it out. I try to learn my way into salvation. I concentrate on the details. And lose sight of the bigger picture. 
I'm not saying anything against studying the Word being bad when it's in detail.  There's a wealth of wisdom to gather from Scripture's Cracker Jacks and hidden treasures. But the "what do I do now" and "what am I supposed to learn" thoughts that easily distract me should never cause me forget the bigger picture. 
The biggest picture is grace.  Jesus saved that woman's life. Even though she was guilty. That's me. He saved me despite my guilt. 
I want to study. I want to learn. I want to sharpen. But my prayer is that above all, I grasp grace. I remember grace. I show grace. I see the bigger picture...constantly.

No comments:

Post a Comment